Daily.Briefhome
Daily.Brief
Vol. 1 · No. 008Saturday, October 3, 2026Richmond Hill, Ontario · Free
Economics and AIDaily and weekly

The economy and AI, explained before school.

One topic a morning. What actually moved, why it matters to someone who is not a fund manager, and what to watch next. Sent about 7:00 AM Eastern in English or Chinese.

Free. No spam. One click to leave, and you can change language or frequency from any email.

Latest weekly issue

The long read.

Once a week, one topic gets the full treatment: four sections, a chart, and a position I am willing to defend. The daily brief lands in your inbox; the weekly issues live here.

Daily.Brief#008 · June 22, 2026

Open weights versus closed labs, as an economics question

Every few months a lab releases a model anyone can download and run. Every few months a different lab argues that this is reckless, or unsustainable, or both. Strip out the safety debate and what is left is a pricing question, and pricing questions have answers.

Read the issue8 min read
Joseph Leung, founder and writer of Daily Brief
Joseph LeungRichmond Hill, ON

About

I write this before school. Here is why it is worth your five minutes.

Most coverage of AI is either a press release or a panic. I read the earnings calls, the central bank statements, and the model release notes, then write down what actually changed and why it matters to someone who is not a fund manager. Five minutes, no jargon, one clear take.

I am Joseph Leung, 16 and in Grade 11. Chess taught me to sit with a position until I understand it, and that is the whole method here. If a claim will not survive a second look, it does not go in.

Chess
Three-time national team champion. Competed at the national level before retiring from tournament play (FIDE, CFC).
School
Grade 11, York Region District School Board.
Ambition
Rotman Commerce at the University of Toronto, then build companies. This newsletter is the first one.
This brief
Written every morning, sent about 7:00 AM Eastern, in English and Simplified Chinese. More about me

Topics

What I cover.

The same handful of beats, followed closely enough to notice when something actually changes. Pick one to filter the archive.

Subscribe

Tomorrow's issue, 7:00 AM.

Free. English or Chinese, daily or weekly. One click to leave, and I never sell the list.

Free. No spam. One click to leave, and you can change language or frequency from any email.